Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sick, sick, sick of winter

February and winter drag on.

How is it that the shortest month of the year always feels like one of the longest?

Oh yeah. I live in Minnesota.

We, like a lot of the U.S., have had a snowy and cold winter. Too bad the 2010 Winter Olympics aren't being held here. There is plenty of cold and snow to make all those winter athletes happy.

March -- and spring-- are coming, I know. Days are starting to get longer. It is actually light outside at 5:30 pm...

I'm very anxious for better weather and to be able to train more outside.

I got in a lot of swimming this week. I like the water, like the workouts that my coach is having me do. I am discouraged that I am just not getting any faster. My coach says that my speed will improve -- and for Ironman, I really just need to be fast enough to not get yanked off the course due to a pesky time cut off...

I did run outside Tuesday night. It was a cold but pretty night. Thursday's run was a speed workout on the treadmill including 3 x 6 minutes pushing my pace in 2 minute increments.

Saturday's run was my favorite: running with Nat at the Plymouth Fieldhouse. We both had to run for about 1 1/2 hours. It was nice to do most of the workout together so we could catch up on life, training and stuff.

Biking: Thank heavens for Comcast on Demand. I got through one ride by catching up on "Damages"; another by watching the Olympics. I'm sure I'll find something interesting to watch during today's 2 hour ride.

---
Outside of training, I had a very nice Saturday. After running with Nat, I got together with 11 of my old running buddies for lunch. These are the women that I've trained over the years, but with the breakdown of our old running club, we've gone along different "paths".

I'd been feeling a little lonely for them and put out an email to see if any one was interested in having lunch.

They were and we did. It was great to catch up over a great meal. (I'll post pics soon).

After lunch, Hubby and I watched the Olympics, ran some errands and went out for a very nice dinner. He's been traveling a lot so it was nice to just sit, relax, share a meal, catch up and hold hands.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations on all of your training. You are doing so well and are at it consistently. I'm itchy for spring, too. I wonder how long it will take for all of this snow to go away?

Sunshine said...

We ran in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. That helped .. for a little while.
You are inspiring. Yea You!

Badgergirl said...

Nice job on all the workouts!

I agree. It's time for winter to be over. I got spoiled last weekend, running outside in near 40 degree sunny weather. The last two days? Snow and cold. Grr.

IronWaddler said...

Nice job on the training.

The swim is the shortest part of your Iron day and you will do fine.

I am with you and very sick of the snow.