Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2 minutes or 120 seconds or See You Next Year!

Well, I am not an ironman -- yet.

I will post a longer race report soon, but for now, suffice it to say that I am listed as a DNF for Ironman Wisconsin 2010.

I DID make the swim cut off (2.4 miles in 1 hour 44 minutes. Not very fast, but got it done).

I DID make the bike cut off (in by 5:12 pm which should have been 5:00 pm, (which really should have been less than 5 hours if a) my watch hadn't quit working and b) I had pedaled faster ;-) )

I DID make it to mile 19 of the slog-fest -- I mean marathon. Yep, got there at 10:32 pm. The only problem was that the cut off for mile 19 was 10:30 pm. I missed it by two minutes. Or 120 seconds... or....

My run fell apart for oh-so many reasons:
  • Couldn't get my head around eating any thing. Nothing had any appeal except ice.
  • Couldn't get my legs to move faster than a walk for about the first 6 miles. A slow walk at that.
  • I finally did start running and picked up the pace a bit, but just could not keep the momentum going.
  • My brain took me to a very, very dark place and there was no getting out of it. No matter how hard others tried to get me out, I was stubbornly stuck.

And so it went.

But there were many, many bright spots for the day (again, will post more of those later).

And I'll be back in Madison NEXT YEAR to do this again.

I've already signed up, already got my hotel room, already rented my race wheels.

Now I just hope Hubby, my coach and my friends can put up with me.


5 comments:

IronSnoopy said...

Amy! I love your attitude. If I'd missed the cutoff by 2 minutes, I'd still be a weeping, depressed mess on the side of the road.

And here you've brushed yourself off and already set the date for round two! GO YOU.

Congratulations on a fantastic swim time! And you made it on the bike, your nemesis!

I promise it does get easier. You have all that knowledge you picked up this year, plus another entire year of training. :-)

And I can't wait to see you cross that finish line!

Betsy said...

I'm sorry you didn't make it but I'm so happy for you that you are ok with it and ready to get back in there. You will be an Ironman!

I honestly am so humbled by people who didn't make it or who missed goal times by a couple of hours. People who struggled and had to battle mental demons on top of physical. Part of me actually has a little guilt that my day went so well. It doesn't seem fair that my day went better than expected when so many others struggled.

2011 is your year...I can feel it already!

Beth said...

You came so close and next year you are going to nail it. I'm amazed by all of the hard work you put in and think you did fantastic on that hilly course. I can't imagine walking that far let alone running after that hilly bike ride. I'm so glad you signed up for next year. Thanks so much for the encouraging words on my blog. I hope next year I'm out there racing, but until then I'm looking forward to following you along your journey.

IronWaddler said...

Amy-
What a hero you are to me. You signed up for the toughest course I could imagine. I was so impressed with your fight and spirit. Most of all I am inspired by your non defeated attitude to sign up again !! The journey continues. And you will cross that finish line.

Sarah said...

Saw your comment on Mike's blog and wanted to let you know that I think it's awesome that you are going back. I DNFd at CdA in June - didn't make the mile 20.5 cutoff. I've struggled with how I feel about the whole thing and whether I want to give it another go. I'll be reading along and following your training :)