Saturday, April 29, 2006

True Confession...

Another long time since I've blogged. Time slips away; I don't always log on to our home computer -- I don't blog from work. I've meant to get a few things posted during the last couple of whirlwind weeks: a meaningful post about our neighbor who recently passed away after fighting breast cancer for four years...a not-so-meaningful post about spring finally coming to Minneapolis and how lovely the weather's been...etc.

But both laziness and "things" have allowed time to pass until today. To quote Linda Ellerbee, "and so it goes":

That "nice weather" thing I mentioned above seems to be a thing of the past. It's been rainy for the past few days. Not just a brief shower or two -- this is contstant steady drizzle followed by more steady downpours. The rain is helping things green up, but certainly is not helping any outdoor activities.

Today were the Get In Gear races. The event used to be just a 10K event held at Minnehaha Falls Park. It is sort of the kickoff to the summer running season here in the Twin Cities. The race now includes a 5K event, the 10K and a 2K fun-run for kids.

I am a volunteer coach for my running club and just wrapped up a session that prepared runners for the 5K event today. I ran with Ann (an old friend from marathon days who is making a running comeback after some time off) and her neice, Sadie, who is a running newbie. It was Sadie's first race.

Here is the true confession: today was the first time I've ever run an entire 5K without a walk break. Yes, that is right: after about seven years of running, I finally covered the distance without stopping once. That is a big deal for me.

Now I have an "excuse" for stopping during my runs: I have a touch of asthma which usually impacts my breathing about 6 to 10 minutes in to the run. On really bad days, I have to take a number of bumps off my inhaler in order to get my airway to open fully. Not today. I think the combination of cooler weather and the rain helped my breathing and I covered the distance.

This may seem strange to you that I've done marathons and triathlons but have not covered this distance with out stopping. (I have to admit it does to me too), but today was the day and it felt great.

The kicker? My results are not posted on the race website. I had my chip on my shoe, heard it beep when I crossed the finish line but no result posted. How is that for irony?

No comments: