Saturday, August 9, 2008

I am not a Mountain Goat...



The story, as it goes, is that I was rather klutzy as a child.

I don't remember it as such, but, I've been told.

Actually, I've been told that my mother first noticed this.

She remarked to someone after one of my falls, that had I been born a Mountain Goat, I would not have survived my first year.

She was certain that I would have fallen off some cliff or mountain side and would have never made goat -- er, I mean HUMAN middle-age.

Well, some things never change.

Since moving up to bike clips this year, I've fallen about 5 or 6 times. I've broken 3 mirrors. I've had bruised hips, hands full of road rash and a very beaten up ego.

Why ego, you ask?

With the exception of the crash that happened a few weeks ago, when I was riding over the Mendota Bridge and a kid, going the opposite way, crossed over the middle line and clipped my handle bars causing us both to fly off our bikes, every single fall has happened when I was either coming to a stop, or STOPPED.

Yes, stopped.

I'll clip out of my right pedal with no problems, glide to a stop and then WHAM! Fall over on my left side when unable, for whatever reason, to not be able to get my foot out of the saddle.

Fortunately, I have not done this in traffic.

Unfortunately, I have done this in front of other bikers, small children and many, many friends.


I fell last week, broke the mirror and scrapped my knee. Also had a wicked tender spot on the inside of my upper thigh on the left side, where the saddle landed -- hard-- in to my leg.

Today, my wonderful friends Marcia, Gary, Kathy T, Cheryl and Julie all joined me for my last "long" ride before Pigman.

We rode together for about 2 hours and then the team was going to head on back to their cars and I was going to go do one last little burst-of-speed blast.

I pulled off the trail to say goodbye, clipped out of the right side, stopped, and WHAM. Fell over to the LEFT, re-scraping my poor scabbed up knee, and re-hitting that tender spot on my thigh.

The mirror did not break.
Note to self: Find someone or figure out the way to loosen up the clip on my left bike shoe.


Bigger note to self: Mom was right.





5 comments:

WADDLER26.2 said...

LMAO. I thought that I was the only one who unclipped the right and fell left. I figured it out anf it happens 50% of the time.

Michelle @ Diary of an Aspiring Loser said...

Damn that sucks! I did this recently twice in a row myself. What do we need to do?

Marcia L said...

Ouch! It's hard to stay ahead of the falling. Take care of yourself, lady!

Sunshine said...

Your mom and mine had something in common!
And I am not even going to try those bike clips because I can fall off my bike, standing still, just fine without them.
Sending healing wishes for that nasty bruise.

2008 NURSERY/LANDSCAPE EXPO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.