Friday, July 25, 2008

Buca, Brick: boy, oh boy!

So I've been pretty good following Weight Watchers over the last several weeks. My company started a WW at Work series and I signed up for the 12-week series.

I've lost any where between 12 and 15 lbs, depending on which scale I use, when. (I'm sure many of you know and can relate to the drill: weigh yourself at home, nekked, in the morning after you pee and it is one number. Go to the meeting, which is held after you've had your first Venti Coffee from Starbucks, are wearing your work "uniform" and it is another number...)

Anyway, I'm glad that I dropped some lbs and am -- for the most part -- eating "cleaner".

Training has ramped up and I find that I'm hungry A LOT.

Yesterday, Hubby and I were driving to work and drove past Buca di Beppo -- home of the biggest, most deeelicious family-style platters of artery-cloggin', gut-bustin', Eye-talian food.

Someone else's voice came out of my head: "Man, I could really go for Buca!".

Hubby said "Yum".

We were going to meet Stepdaughter for dinner anyway, and it was way too hot to cook so, like lemmings drawn to the cliff, we made reservations for 7:30 pm and had a food fiesta.

Hubby was right: Yum.

Today's workout schedule called for a brick: bike for 1 hour; then run for 30 minutes.

I could not drag my pasta-laden carcass out of bed at 5:30 am today, so I had to wiggle the brick in during the middle of the day.

Oh -- Summer, which has been rarely seen here in Minneapolis this year, made an appearance today: It is in the high 80's and humid.

Perfect for heading out midday for a bike and run.

WOW.

All I can say is I'm glad it's done. The bike was pretty good. The run was tough.

The only good thing is that I kept reminding myself that being out in the middle of the day is good practice for Pigman.

I figure that the swim/bike for the 1/2IM will take me about 5 hours (plus or minus many minutes). Race starts at 7:30 am, so that puts me starting the run sometime after 12:30 pm.

No reason to do training runs at 7:00 am when it is cool and comfortable, when I'll probably be out there in the middle of Iowa, plodding along in the afternoon.

Tomorrow, Nat and I will do a 4-hour training RIDE. Our plan is to do part of the ride with our friends Marcia, Marty and Gary.

I hope the humidity breaks!

4 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

mmmmmmm....Buca...It's been a while since I've been there and indulged in a wheelbarrow of pasta!! YUM!

IronWaddler said...

Way to go on the weight loss. Every once in awhile you need a break. And YUM-Buca.

Anonymous said...

Way to go with the weight loss, Amy! You are one disciplines half ironman triathlete. Keep up the good work!

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and the exercise. I'm jealous ... not that jealousy does me as much good as just getting started on exercise myself.